Broken it? We'll fix it!
We supply a wide range of repair kits - and as many customers have found out, we are more than happy to spend a while on the 'phone explaining how to do stuff, but we have also found that sometimes our customers want to send things to us to fix. So far, since we started the Carbonology Repair Service we've fixed a lot of bike frames (nearly 300 now), plus a load of splitters and front air dams from track day and race cars, a good load of rear diffusers, a few belly pans, more than a handful of carbon sailboats and probably about the same number of masts - Oh, and a fishing rod... a big one! Not one single item has ever needed re-repairing....
Here's an examples of a frame we did recently. This is pretty typical of the quality of finish we achieve:
Chain Stay on Cervelo S3 with severe wear damage.
Please note though that we are CARBONOLOGY and not PAINT-OLOGY... We do the carbon fibre repair only (though we do protect it with an acrylic lacquer). If you want to get your part or frame or whatever back to the original colour scheme, you will need to arrange to get it painted or graphics for it fitted after we have repaired it.... Think about it - Would you rather be able to see the repair and feel sure that the work had been done properly, or would you prefer it to have been covered over with some filler and paint? No brainer!
Dave says "Anyone that says you can't fix a carbon bike frame either has no idea what these materials are capable of (do you think they throw away helicopter rotor blades or fighter plane wings when they have a bird strike?) or maybe owns a bike shop and wants to sell you a new frame! We have had one mountain bike frame that did come back after us repairing it: But only because the guy properly smashed it up the second time (breaking his leg in the process!) but the repair we had previously done was completely intact..."
So, here's what to do...
1. START THE BALL ROLLING. email email@example.com with details of what has broken. A couple of IN FOCUS photo's (sent as .jpg) suitably cropped and scaled so they are less than 2 or 3 Mb are welcome. 5 or 6 massive 10Mb photo's, or a few out of focus snaps so we can't see what is broken on an email are not! We will reply promptly with an accurate estimate of the repair cost. We are rarely wrong, but at this point it is just an estimate, we can only give a proper idea of cost when the item has been inspected - sometimes damage is hidden in a photo.
2. BOOK IT IN. If the price is ok and you want us to do the repair, you need to book it in with us so we know to expect it (and reserve the repair slot for it in our programme) SO, drop us a line or call and let us know you want us to fix whatever it is... We will give you a REPAIR ORDER NUMBER.... Don't send your frame without one!!
3. SEND IT IN. This will be at your cost, so strip the item to the minimum to save on postage - . We cannot allow any oil or grease into the workshop area, so clean items only please. In the box or packaging please include something that identifies your item that we can attach to it if you haven't already. Without a Repair Order Number and your details clearly on the item we might struggle to know who's item is what! Send your item for repair to:
carbonology.com 7 Bristol Hill, Shotley Gate, Ipswich, IP9 1PU
BUT ONLY WHEN YOU HAVE A REPAIR ORDER NUMBER!!!
4. TOUCH DOWN. When we get your item, we will inspect it and be in touch to let you know it has arrived safely and confirm the repair cost we estimated. If we find the item is actually beyond repair, we'll advise you of this and send the item back AT OUR COST... So if this is the case, we've gone halves on shipping the item here and back and we're quits...
5. FINISHED! When the repair is complete and ready to send out, we'll contact you for payment at the price agreed including the postage and VAT. The item will leave with FedEx - our Transport Partner for large items, guaranteed on a next day delivery to anywhere in the UK, and normally around 3 working days to anywhere in Europe or 5 days to the rest of you... Or you can collect from Hamble by arrangement if you prefer.
6. YIPPEEE!! A day or so later and you get your bike frame, splitter, diffuser, mast, fishing pole, wheel, or whatever back ready to fight another day at a fraction of the cost of replacement.
Note: As we cannot guarantee how you item will be used by you, we cannot guarantee our repair work. But suffice to say, our inspection processes are very tight and we will not send anything out we are not 100% sure will be stronger than the original.
So, what are you waiting for..! Our no obligation estimate process (by email) is free. We will give you a good idea of the cost before you send the item to us - and we will confirm that cost before we start any work...
Here are some final important points. We will quote for the work we can do by email. We use some simple phrases to describe the work we are proposing, but if you do not understand or want more clarity you must ask or we will assume you understand.. Phrases like:
'Simple Repair' - This means we do a structural repair in carbon fibre which is functional and effective but not necessarily aesthetic. If we can match the weave on a visible component, we will, but we can't guarantee it. We do not refinish these repairs and though we spend some time tidying them up, there may be some surface imperfections for you to address. The Simple Repair is best for items that need to be strong but are not in plain view or are going to be refinished at a later date by the customer.
'Full Repair' - This is where we do all of the work we can to make a repair as complete as we can. We make sure the surface is level with the existing part and that where there is one, the weave is as close to matching as we can do it. We flatten and sand and prep the repair for refinishing and if you also require that, we can arrange it. A Full Repair is obviously a lot more expensive than a Simple Repair. We will quote for both if you want us to.
We have to stress here again that unless we have specifically quoted you for the job, we do not refinish parts. We do the best carbon repair we can with the structure you provide - You can rely on that.
Some feedback from the last few months...
Awesome turnaround and the repair was almost invisible. (McLaren MP4-12C Splitter repair) Keith M. Guildford Feb 2014
Great turn around time, a day quicker than quoted and £20 less than everyone else I spoke to. Use these guys.... (Orbea Full Race MTB) Darren B, Leeds. September 2013
Can't be the same bike Dave! Mine was in 2 bits with some tree stuck to it, LOL!! Mike, Alton, Summer 2012
Thanks for repairing my Bianchi so well. I couldn't find the repair at first. Very impressed. Sam, Dartmouth, Summer 2012
Just opened the box. That's an awesome job, far far better than I expected, you are officially a wizard and I will tell everyone that I know. Brilliant! Simon (Ferrari 430 diffuser repair) March '10
Thanks for fixing my [Orbea mountain bike] frameset and doing such a good job. I wish I'd known this sort of fix was possible - I have thrown frames away which were less damaged in the past! Ralph. Cumbria. Feb '10